Fiat Ducato motorhome airbag module problem

General messages
Therumrunners

Fiat Ducato motorhome airbag module problem

Post by Therumrunners » 06 Feb 2023, 15:55

This is not the usual airbag problem but I hope somebody might be able to help. The story- airbag light came up and scaned as low voltage, fault wouldn’t clear. New battery fitted as precaution and airbag module sent to Northern Auto Tech. Returned with a note saying that proxi alignment would be necessary. Reinstalled airbag module and connected MES. Odometer was flashing and the airbag light was up and now also the seatbelt light. Unable to connect to airbag module but everything else was ok. Connected to the Body module to do the proxi alignment and saved the proxi file onto the laptop. Noted the airbag module was showing in red as ‘removed’. Completed the proxi alignment ok. However, this is where the trouble starts. There is no airbag light coming on at all on turning the ignition key and the Body module doesn’t show the airbag module. It’s like the airbag module doesn’t exist. Removed the the module and the odometer is steady and not flashing. The van is now happy without the airbag module but I am not! I copied the current proxi file and printed the before and after files to compare. They are both the same. I am now at a loss. Any help much appreciated.

shpuncik

Re: Fiat Ducato motorhome airbag module problem

Post by shpuncik » 06 Feb 2023, 20:59

Therumrunners wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 15:55
This is not the usual airbag problem but I hope somebody might be able to help. The story- airbag light came up and scaned as low voltage, fault wouldn’t clear. New battery fitted as precaution and airbag module sent to Northern Auto Tech. Returned with a note saying that proxi alignment would be necessary. Reinstalled airbag module and connected MES. Odometer was flashing and the airbag light was up and now also the seatbelt light. Unable to connect to airbag module but everything else was ok. Connected to the Body module to do the proxi alignment and saved the proxi file onto the laptop. Noted the airbag module was showing in red as ‘removed’. Completed the proxi alignment ok. However, this is where the trouble starts. There is no airbag light coming on at all on turning the ignition key and the Body module doesn’t show the airbag module. It’s like the airbag module doesn’t exist. Removed the the module and the odometer is steady and not flashing. The van is now happy without the airbag module but I am not! I copied the current proxi file and printed the before and after files to compare. They are both the same. I am now at a loss. Any help much appreciated.
why would you do proxi alignment when connected module clearly says "Removed" and isn't accessible with diagnostic scanner?
now with proxi alignment you have removed your airbags from configuration completely. power supply, ground for airbag ECU. if that's OK, send back airbag ECU as it's not repaired right.

Therumrunners

Post by Therumrunners » 07 Feb 2023, 12:08

why would you do proxi alignment when connected module clearly says "Removed" and isn't accessible with diagnostic scanner?
now with proxi alignment you have removed your airbags from configuration completely. power supply, ground for airbag ECU. if that's OK, send back airbag ECU as it's not repaired right.
Yes, I realise now I cocked up. I have sent the ecu back to Northern Auto Tech today although he doesn’t think it’s the problem. Do you know of a solution where I can reinstate the configuration for the airbag. Thanks for your help.

shpuncik

Post by shpuncik » 07 Feb 2023, 17:21

if they can't repair your module tell them to restore it to the initial state and search for someone else who could repair it or buy used/new one.
when you'll have either your old (it needs to be detectable by diagnostic scanner) or another used/new airbag ECU you'll be able to restore it in proxi config - just plug it, proxi will tell now that you have "Added" module and run proxi alignment.

Therumrunners

Post by Therumrunners » 07 Feb 2023, 20:07

Thank you very much for your advice.

chrener

Post by chrener » 10 Feb 2023, 08:38

Check CAN connection from BCM to ORC...
Your BCM cant see airbag unit... Co they cant comunicate and you seen it like REMOVED...
Check wires...
If they are OK replace airbag unit...
Jeep Renegade 1.4 MultiAir TURBO 75th Anniversary

shpuncik

Post by shpuncik » 10 Feb 2023, 09:30

chrener wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 08:38
Check CAN connection from BCM to ORC...
Your BCM cant see airbag unit... Co they cant comunicate and you seen it like REMOVED...
Check wires...
If they are OK replace airbag unit...
@chrener ORC was visible before "repair" ;) it's after repair that it became undetectable by MES.

Therumrunners

Post by Therumrunners » 10 Feb 2023, 10:20

Thank you both for your input, appreciated. I have just had an operation on my shoulder so I’m out of action for quite a few weeks.

Therumrunners

Post by Therumrunners » 01 Mar 2023, 13:34

Sent the module back to Carl at Northeren Auto Tech for him to check. He said there were no errors as before. I wasn’t expecting much when I plugged it in but all is good , or nearly good! Module was instantly recognised and the proxi alignment went fine first go. Why it works this time, I don’t know, haven’t done anything differently. However, I have been left with one fault that won’t clear. B0103-11 Driver airbag resistance, short circuit to ground. The van has been on our drive all winter since November so is it possible it’s just a bit damp and this fault might go away once we start using the van in April? Any help gratefully received.