Registered vs Free Program Response

General messages
s130

Registered vs Free Program Response

Post by s130 » 14 May 2010, 19:14

Hi Yani

Am I missing something?

How does the program inform the user which functions are, or are not available depending on the registration status.

From what I can see the unregistered version lists/displays functions like Oil and Service reset functions, and in the cases of CAN bases functions (e.g. parking sensors on Croma 2005) just fials to connect.

There are no clear messages such as "This function is only supported in the Registered Version", likewise until one tries a function you are none the wiser.

I would hope/suggest that all functions not supported in the unregistered version are either not displayed or shaded out and non selectable.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus

yani
Site Admin

Re: Registered vs Free Program Response

Post by yani » 14 May 2010, 19:44

Yes, you are probably missing something.
Another difference from v2.1 is that the FREE users can now see and connect to all available modules, but they will be able to see only the Info Screen for modules that are not free. Also, the FREE users can connect to any module in simulation mode using CTRL-F10 and explore its functions.
The free version can connect to ALL modules, but it shows only the Info Screen, validates the ISO Code (and shows Invalid ISO Code message) and then shows the following message:
FREE VERSION RESTRICTION
This module requires REGISTERED version!
You can run it in 'simulation' mode only!

Also, you can check http://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx . All non-free modules are in red.

What could be more clear than that?

Connecting to the module and showing the info screen (if it does Invalid ISO Code message) should confirm that the program can work with your car.
If it fails to connect then you probably have a problem with the interface or its settings.

Yani

s130

Post by s130 » 14 May 2010, 20:40

May I take a specific example.

I'm told by another user that the Croma Oil Service Reset is no longer available in the free version. As I've recently done an oil service change and reset I do not want to invoke that function again. However the function is still listed as available/invokable. Were I to proceed then I could end up resetting or be presented with 'not supported in free version" message.

From a user perspective then I would like clear deliniation between supported, unsupported or otherwise limited.restricted functions.

As it stands on my Croma 2005 it looks like all functions, including Air Bag Support, Valeo Parking, and Service Interval Reset are available to me. No message about "registered version only" and just a failed to connect message.

To reiterate: Availble functions should be presented clearly and unavailable ones not listed or clearly marked/grey out/unselectable. From what I have experienced so far I have to attempt to exercise/invoke a function before I get a response/error message form the program.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus

s130

Post by s130 » 20 May 2010, 20:41

yani wrote:Yes, you are probably missing something.
Another difference from v2.1 is that the FREE users can now see and connect to all available modules, but they will be able to see only the Info Screen for modules that are not free. Also, the FREE users can connect to any module in simulation mode using CTRL-F10 and explore its functions.
The free version can connect to ALL modules, but it shows only the Info Screen, validates the ISO Code (and shows Invalid ISO Code message) and then shows the following message:
FREE VERSION RESTRICTION
You can run it in 'simulation' mode only!

Also, you can check http://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx . All non-free modules are in red.

What could be more clear than that?

Connecting to the module and showing the info screen (if it does Invalid ISO Code message) should confirm that the program can work with your car.
If it fails to connect then you probably have a problem with the interface or its settings.

Yani

Hi Yani

I think you need to review your code.

With the unregistered verson attemps to connect to CAN modules fail with check interface.

If I use CTRL-F10 then I get the invalid ISO code and can connect BUT THERE IS NO

"FREE VERSION RESTRICTION
You can run it in 'simulation' mode only!"

message.

This is why I was confused. I think the program logic needs a little tidying up in this area.

Nick

EnIgMa

Post by EnIgMa » 20 May 2010, 21:51

using CTRL+F10 doesn't count because you enter in a kind of demo mode; so every modules are available for testing only and no one should tell you to register the software. (infact you can test them in all of their functions.)

So, as Yani said, if you start a standard connection to the ecu you should see only the ecu informations, and if you try to use that module you should see the register message.
As I have understood, if you cannot connect to service reset is not due to software restriction but it probably caused by wrong settings or bad comunication between computer and elm device...or between elm device and ecu....i dont know. :)

i mean, hardware/software issue; it's not intentional.

i think so...