Adapters' Pinout Numbers

General messages
Gustav

Adapters' Pinout Numbers

Post by Gustav » 26 Jan 2022, 09:51

Hello guys

I bought recently Alfa Giulietta QV. Since this is my first Alfa which needs an adapter cable for the interface, I bought OBD extension cables so I could rearrange cables for Adapter 3.
But when comparing female OBD pinout numbers on page www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx with pinouts on other sites and also on my OBDLink SX USB cable and on 2 OBD extensions cables I bought, the pinout numbers are swapped on multiecuscan.net diagram.
Example

Is the female OBD pinout view on multiecuscan.net diagrams instead back view or is it incorrect?

I don't want to experiment, connecting OBD cable with wrong cable setup, to the car.

s130

Re: Adapters' Pinout Numbers

Post by s130 » 26 Jan 2022, 15:03

The MES Connector view (lower in your post) is the FEMALE REAR side view.

The female connector view (top left in your post) is FRONT/face view directly onto the female connections.

Both of these are correct and if you put them face to face the pins align correctly.

Often pin numberings can be confusing. For cable/connector wiring makes the always work from the REAR of the connector where they have to solder the cable wires to the pins/sockets.

For people working / diagnosing / probing then they generally work from the FRONT of the connect plug or socket.

The wiring diagrams on the MES site use the REAR side views for both the plugs and the sockets.

Look at the first picture of the male and female connector side by side where the FRONT views are also numbered correctly.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus

Gustav

Re: Adapters' Pinout Numbers

Post by Gustav » 26 Jan 2022, 18:28

Thank you for clarifying this. It makes sense, because I noticed that both female and male fascias look same (back side of the connector).
It would help to keep confusion away, if adapters diagrams' text would have also words "back view" in them.