DIY virtual cockpit

General messages
htevents

DIY virtual cockpit

Post by htevents » 28 Apr 2020, 09:38

Hello all,

Because I think MES and it's developers have lots of info about the CAN system and information, I thought it would be the best place to ask questions and start this idea/project.

I want to build a full LCD (touchscreen = optional) instrument cluster for my Punto 1.3mjet 2012, with software like RealDash or similar. The hardest part of this will be to get all the CAN signal the stock dashboard gets. Speed, RPM and temps are not that hard, fuel level may be a bit harder, but can be done, what realy is a challenge and thats what I am here for is this:
- Turn signals (when turn signal is on, the computer, like a Raspberry Pi, should get the signal and translate it to a virtual flashing arrow on the screen)
- All warning lights, like engine check light, ABS, Airbag, etc.
- ODOmeter (I want the panel to show that and have realtime counting, like the stock ODOmeter)
- The info displayed on the small stock display

All that info has to come from the canbus and are transmitted in binary or HEX I guess? If so, I guess I need to know what "code" is for what signal. I can run a CAN sniffer, but maybe someone already has all that info, so I only need to write a script for the software to understand what to display, when what signal is present.

Some side questions:
- the original cluster is present in the CAN network, if I unlug the original cluster and drive around without it connected (because the virtual cluster will be installed where the original one is now), will it mess up the CAN system?
- can I maybe emulate the virtual dashboard like an original one, so the CAN will see a right dashboard (maybe with proxy alignment)?
- Can I still cicle thru different menu's what is normaly shown on the small LCD on the dash?

Lots of questions, but if this works out, it will be a lot of fun.