running MES

General messages
HughJarsse

running MES

Post by HughJarsse » 09 Feb 2019, 20:16

Hi all, currently using free copy of MES on a laptop running Win 10 pro, works a treat, but, just wondered if it will work on a Windows tablet?
Currently looking at getting a cheap tablet, as the lappy is way to big to lug around in the cars, with its 16" screen (punto MK2B and a Multipla JTD)
Seen couple of Lenovo ones, 10" screen, running Win10, (tablet and detachable keyboard) for around £80/90.
Would be useful if MES will run OK on these, but not desperate.
Just wondered if anyone had it running on any tablets? and if so, how well it performs??
Looking to probably buy the full MES, not sure whether for the lappy or the tablet (if if will run OK)
Any thoughts, help or ideas gratefully accepted....

s130

Re: running MES

Post by s130 » 10 Feb 2019, 17:58

I run MES on a Clevo Win 8.1 tablet.

My tablet only has a single micro usb port and to connect a standard low power USB device you need to us a USB-2-GO cable.

NOTE! Some tablets (like mine) will have minimal USB power capability so you will also need a powered USB hub.

To keep things small and compatible I have an Acasis Micro USB OTG Hub, M/N:H027. I power the hub from a USB charger plugged into the vehicles 12V power socket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acasis-Mobile-Charging-Simultaneous-Transmisson/dp/B00SZNT0ZU

Works really well.

If your tablet does not have a standard USB port then powering the ELM/KKL interface will be an issue.

As for using a Bluetooth ELM module then I have not tried this. If it works then the power / hub requirements won't be an issue.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus

HughJarsse

Post by HughJarsse » 14 Feb 2019, 17:39

Hi s130,

Thanks for the info, the lenovo I was looking at is the miix 310, has 2gb ram and 32gb ssd.
Appears to have a micro usb on the tablet, but 2 full size usb's on the keyboard, so might get away using the keyboard, (at 10" far easier to use than the 16" lappy!!)
Looks like you are located in Southampton, am just down the road in Bournemouth!!
Will let you know how I get on if I get the tablet.

Zeewulf

Post by Zeewulf » 23 Feb 2019, 11:03

Have you considered a second hand Panasonic CF-H2 ? Easier to carry than a laptop and are pretty tough.
Fiat Idea Eleganza 1.4 16v