Add a "used" key to Renegade

General messages
davidino66

Add a "used" key to Renegade

Post by davidino66 » 16 Mar 2018, 15:32

I need to add an used Keyless remote (bought on Ebay) to my standard two remote/keys. Is it possible?

s130

Re: Add a "used" key to Renegade

Post by s130 » 17 Mar 2018, 10:24

I would be very cautious with this.

A little explanation is required. For some older Fiats then MES can program keys but YOU NEED YOUR KEY CODE CARD which has the vehicle security code. In the UK this was never supplied to customers and the code had to be requested via your Fiat dealer (at cost). From my understanding the newer models 500X (Renegade...) onwards now use a "PASS THROUGH" method that directly links to a secure Fiat system. Supposedly the Fiat dealer, technician, etc. do not get to see or know the vehicle security code or are able to request the code.

I've looked in MES at the 500X & Renegade and the key programming text/method seems to be the old non pass through procedure where the vehicle security code is required. This is at odds with what I was told by a Fiat Master Tech and what I researched myself.

I would send an Email to MES support before attempting to program a key into 500X/Renegade as if it goes wrong all existing keys will potentially be deleted and you will immobilise your vehicle.

Please report back what MES Support have to say.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus

davidino66

Post by davidino66 » 18 Mar 2018, 15:13

Hi,
thanks for answer.
MES Support say that at the moment MES software can't handle keyless system... :-(
I spoke with a friend, who works in a Jeep authorized workshop, and in fact, can only provide me with a temporary 4-digit pin,
which allows the storage of NEW smart keys ONLY, through Micropod2
Otherwise you need to have tools like VVDI or FVDI, to unlock used smart keys and re-program them ... I'm studying the problem, but it's not an easy solution ...

Bye..

s130

Post by s130 » 19 Mar 2018, 19:27

This is interesting information. Thank you.

I think we will all be interested in what you find in your research.

I've never heard of a temporary pin so this alone is interesting.

Please keep us posted.

Nick
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus

davidino66

Post by davidino66 » 20 Mar 2018, 14:54

OK,
you can read this meanwhile...

https://www.aetools.us/blog/chryslerallkeyslost/