ABS lights on when connected

General messages
coisty

ABS lights on when connected

Post by coisty » 16 Jun 2017, 08:09

Hi,
I have a Bravo 1.9jtd 8v with standard ABS (Bosch 8.1) and using registered paid version.
When I connect to my ABS via the green lead my yellow and red warning lights show on the dashboard and ABS off is displayed, is this correct?
When I try to activate the valves within the ABS using multiecuscan I get nothing happening.
Also noticed that while driving I get info from all wheel sensors but between roughly 16mph and 48mph I lose my distance readout on can?
The engine eobd light is starting to flicker (dim) above roughly 7mph when turning left then fully on as speed increases but no fault codes.
This is causing CAN problems.
I would like to rule everything out before replacing my eps control module

Cheers
Brian

coisty

Re: ABS lights on when connected

Post by coisty » 16 Jun 2017, 20:40

I think the eobd light coming on at 7mph with steering wheel to left could be when self centering kicks in on the eps control unit.
Also the eps learn in multiecuscan does not work, is this normal?
turn ratio - invalid
from centre (set to 0deg with no pull left or right) I have 536deg and -524, could this be causing an issue?
also when engine is off and stationary I can only turn steering wheel about 90deg in both directions using force, is this normal?
Sorry but i'm new to electric steering

any help appreciated
Brian

alex-et3

Post by alex-et3 » 16 Jun 2017, 20:45

coisty wrote:Hi,
I have a Bravo 1.9jtd 8v with standard ABS (Bosch 8.1) and using registered paid version.
When I connect to my ABS via the green lead my yellow and red warning lights show on the dashboard and ABS off is displayed, is this correct?
When I try to activate the valves within the ABS using multiecuscan I get nothing happening.
Also noticed that while driving I get info from all wheel sensors but between roughly 16mph and 48mph I lose my distance readout on can?
The engine eobd light is starting to flicker (dim) above roughly 7mph when turning left then fully on as speed increases but no fault codes.
This is causing CAN problems.
I would like to rule everything out before replacing my eps control module

Cheers
Brian
Warning lights on and interrupt reading parameters while going on the road is normal.

coisty

Post by coisty » 17 Jun 2017, 05:31

Thanks

coisty

Post by coisty » 19 Jun 2017, 17:47

Does anyone know if I should be able to execute the various valves in the ABS? (Bosch ABS 8), also should the learn function work on my electric power steering? TRW EPS(3)) and the turn ratio on my EPS is showing INVALID, is this normal?

Thanks in advance
Brian

dtimmins

Post by dtimmins » 20 Jun 2017, 08:55

I thought this was a bit strange.

I tried this on my old Stilo 1.2 16v and the same thing happens when connecting ABS, all hell breaks loose!
Same also happens with EPS - when connected to it, warnings appear and there is no power steering - as soon as you connect it gets disabled.

Have not tried this on my newer Stilo yet.

coisty

Post by coisty » 20 Jun 2017, 22:50

made up a n eobd test lead to try and narrow down fault.
oscilloscope is on charge so i just carried out basic volts / earth checks on diagnostic connector.

found CANH (6) to be avg 0.5v with ign off/on/engine running and CANL (14) to be 12v ign off and 4.5v ign on/engine running.
Would have thought that it would be the other way around.

On K-Line - pin 7 (engine) 12v engine running, pin 1 (ABS) 12v engine running and pin 9 (BCM/EPS) 0.33v engine running.

Would this indicate a fault at pin 9?

Brian

alex-et3

Post by alex-et3 » 20 Jun 2017, 23:09

coisty wrote:made up a n eobd test lead to try and narrow down fault.
oscilloscope is on charge so i just carried out basic volts / earth checks on diagnostic connector.

found CANH (6) to be avg 0.5v with ign off/on/engine running and CANL (14) to be 12v ign off and 4.5v ign on/engine running.
Would have thought that it would be the other way around.

On K-Line - pin 7 (engine) 12v engine running, pin 1 (ABS) 12v engine running and pin 9 (BCM/EPS) 0.33v engine running.

Would this indicate a fault at pin 9?

Brian
If I had a problem in the can bus, half a car would not work;)
And you would also have errors in diagnosis

coisty

Post by coisty » 20 Jun 2017, 23:29

Will try monitoring with the scope tomorrow.
Cheers