Electronuc security code

General messages
iain945

Electronuc security code

Post by iain945 » 24 Sep 2016, 11:28

Hi - My 2012 Ducato 250 camper was sold to me without a KEY CARD giving the mechanical and electronic security codes for the vehicle. I have been informed that codes are no longer issued in the UK. I have had no success in obtaining a card from anywhere. Unfortunately your software requires the electronic code for the vehicle to do some things eg a Proxi Alignment. Any suggestions as how I get round this problem would be welcome - Iain

s130

Re: Electronuc security code

Post by s130 » 24 Sep 2016, 18:17

Typical British / FIAT UK practice.

Firstly, as far as I know the only MES functions that require a body computer code are 1) key programming and 2) alarm/security settings. A proxy alignment does not require a security code however after the alignment the alarm/security settings will be set to their production defaults and to change these back you will need the security code.

Your Fiat dealer will be able to get your cars security code but they will probably charge and will want proof of your identity and vehicle ownership.

Background. Until around 2015 (model dependent) then when Fiats were imported to the UK the Key Code and ECU Code/PIN cards were removed from the vehicles and the data then registered with the National Vehicle Security Register (now Retainagroup). Even though you are the legal vehicle owner, can prove so, have your DNA taken, etc. etc. then you can not personally obtain codes from the register. This can only be done by "authorised" agents. As far as I know these agents are/were limited to Fiat/Alfa dealers and the UK Automobile Association. The whole system / loop is a self protecting revenue generating system designed to deny you the credentials of the vehicle you have paid good money for.

On new model vehicles post 2014/2015 (like the 500X) I'm told that the security codes are no longer given to any register or dealer and the codes are directly served from Fiat's diagnostic servers direct into the Wi Tech Plus diagnostic kit. These codes are not visible to the technician/end Wi Tech user.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus

iain945

Post by iain945 » 25 Sep 2016, 12:48

S130 - Thankyou for the info. The situation is worse than I thought then and is going to get even more difficult for third party maintenance shortly. Perhaps the way ahead is to replace the vehicles Fiat electronics with an open source ecu. If such a thing exists.

I can't believe that Fiat are allowed to behave like this legally. They are denying customers full ownership of vehicles they have paid for.

I will approach Fiat here again armed with your information and won't be fobbed off this time!

- Iain

s130

Post by s130 » 26 Sep 2016, 09:50

Well yes it is bad and I have ha a long discussion with Fiat UK a few years ago about this. They claim security etc. etc.

I pointed out to them that their security points were, whilst well meant, totally wide of the mark for several reason, some listed below.

1) I applied via my Fiat dealer. I had to fill out a form with Name, Address, Bank Details etc. This form was faxed to the NVSR. Oddly no reply came in time for the required job. The NVSR had faxed the reply to another fax number. When the resent fax finally arrived all the NVSR had done was write the PIN code, key codes, radio code etc. on the original application for. Shock horror, panic, etc as now my name, address, bank details and vehicle security info were in the "wild". Fortunately the other fax number was another Fiat dealer who contacted my dealer about the error and confirmed their fax had been securely destroyed

2) Wife/women returns to car in winter (dark) in multi-storey car park. Car immobilised but could be started with PIN and keying it in with throttle pedal (various older models). AA called out, AA get code, don't tell you code but start car. Later you accidentally stall. Back to square one. Summary vulnerable women stranded for hours.

3) We are were members of RAC. However RAC could not get the code as they were not authorised. Also no facility for UK cars stranded abroad.

Total rubbish (to put it politely)

iain945

Post by iain945 » 27 Sep 2016, 15:15

Right - I went to the Fiat main dealer here today and asked service reception for a code card. The young lady was quite helpful but she had no idea what she was doing. She went through the process of selling me a radio code for £18 until the penny dropped that I did not need a radio code ( my radio isn't Fiat anyway as it has been replaced with one that can get LW) . She then sent me to Parts who took an order from me for a security code card and charged me £47.11 as said it might be a few days. Surprisingly I got a call early this pm saying my order was ready for collection. Went and collected and after the usual 10 minute wait was handed a copy of the order with an envelope attached. In the envelope was a single piece of paper with the order number and a 5 digit security code on it with no reference to which vehicle it is for. I will try the code at the weekend to check that it works.

I think the Fiat dealer just logged into RetainA and got a code on the screen and printed it. Probably took a couple of minutes. I wish I could earn money that easily. It is outright robbery. I will never buy another Italian vehicle or indeed any vehicle that doesn't come with the codes to access its computer systems. Luddite - thats me. - Iain

s130

Post by s130 » 27 Sep 2016, 18:23

So you have the code but it cost. :evil:

A long time ago made it a condition of new vehicle purchase that I have all the codes. This has worked very well until my new 500X where I found out that whilst mechanical key code and radio code are available with the car but the security code is only delivered by live connection to Fiat.

I'm still not convinced that the code is only available by direct connection to Fiat Servers so I'm hoping that some of the people on this forum who work in Fiat/Alfa dealerships will be able to clarify the whole mess.

marqo

Post by marqo » 29 Sep 2016, 15:16

I have the same - I'm own 500X but without the security code.
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm 16V 180CV noDPF
Fiat 500X CityLook 1.6 e-torque 110CV

s130

Post by s130 » 29 Sep 2016, 18:32

marqo wrote:I have the same - I'm own 500X but without the security code.
Where are you located Marqo? Which country?

Have you been told by a Fiat Dealer/Service agent that the code is not available and only delivered directly to authorise diagnostic equipment with a "live" connection to Fiat's servers?

marqo

Post by marqo » 29 Sep 2016, 19:19

s130 wrote:
marqo wrote:I have the same - I'm own 500X but without the security code.
Where are you located Marqo? Which country?

Have you been told by a Fiat Dealer/Service agent that the code is not available and only delivered directly to authorise diagnostic equipment with a "live" connection to Fiat's servers?
I'm from Poland.
I didn't ask yet, I will ask when next time will be at Fiat Dealer.
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm 16V 180CV noDPF
Fiat 500X CityLook 1.6 e-torque 110CV