Lifetime upgrade license question and some suggestions

General messages
epsonix

Lifetime upgrade license question and some suggestions

Post by epsonix » 27 Jun 2016, 13:06

Hi Yani,
I'm looking for definite/official answer on this from you, as seen some threads with rather speculations made by other forum member, and I'm still not 100% sure. Currently I have lifetime upgrade license (bought it good a few years ago, it was FES license), and license allows me to update my MES any time with newer version. Could you please clarify on if in case my current laptop fails and will need to write to you to get license key for new laptop, or if I would like to transfer MES to new laptop, would my new license be limited to 1 year upgrades only?

I would let myself make suggestions on license renewal. As far as I know MES is used mainly by private users, or by small garages at best. Price for first license and 1 year of EUR50 is very fair. Great software for this money. However, IMHO, I'm not sure if after expiry of 1 year, another year fee of EUR50 for just 1 year updates is not bit excessive, as already old license allows user for using the last licensed version lifetime, so we are talking only about 1 year right for minor improvements, bug corrections in real for specific private user (yes,new models as well,but that is mainly for small garage users). Could you maybe reconsider extending upgrade time or what you offer with upgrade, so it works better for private users (who I doubt would buy every year another license for the same car, just to keep MES most up to date), but without you loosing sales? From my experience most of PC software maintenance fees (upgrades etc) cost some fraction of first time license, and that makes some sense. In your case maybe you could offer e.g. 3-5 years upgrade for EUR50 (if you do nto want to go for say EUR15 for 1 year upgrade fee), or alternatively lock the any license to list of supported cars at time of buy of license (or within first year of first license) - so e.g. private people would get lifetime bug corrections/improvements, but limited to specific cars set only they bought license for. Surely that will work well for private users. If in future they buy newer car not from the list, they would need to do update license, so that will be time you get anyway money. Garages in other hand would need to buy regular updates as they do today, to support newer cars. SO I think you would not loose any business, but make private users more happy.

Best regards
Leszek

dozsmith

Re: Lifetime upgrade license question and some suggestions

Post by dozsmith » 10 Jul 2016, 10:10

I get the impression that the coder has moved on to more fun things.

s130

Re: Lifetime upgrade license question and some suggestions

Post by s130 » 15 Jul 2016, 18:09

Just back from hols so am a little late to reply.

My understanding AND experience is that if you have an original FiatECUScan License (paid for and not free one) then this is a lifetime license. FES user's paid and helped develop/support FES before it came MES and the extension of FES Lifetime licenses to MES was (I believe) Yani's way of saying "thankyou". He could have said MES was a new product (lifetime of FES deceased) but thankfully he did not.

With my FES Lifetime license I believe I have transferred my MES software twice thus far AND NOT hit any one year upgrade limit. My last transfer was over a year ago all is still fine.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus