Airbag lamp in Alfa Romeo GTV

General messages
Viking

Airbag lamp in Alfa Romeo GTV

Post by Viking » 21 Feb 2010, 23:57

Hello everybody.

I have a problem with airbag indicator on dashboard in Alfa Romeo GTV 1998 (2.0 16V TS).
I tried to connect to Airbag ECU (TRW MY97) but with no success. For connection I use USB OBD cable with additional FIAT connector (3 pin).
On the multiecuscan.net I found this info:
"To connect to the airbag ECU you need to connect your cable to pin 3 of the OBD connector"
but I connect to 3 pin plug with: K-line, L-line and GND. K-line connects to pin 7 in OBD cable. Pin 3 in OBD connector is free (not connected to electronics), so it makes no sens to connect cable to pin 3 of the OBD connector.

Anybody has an idea what to check?
I need to solve this problem asap...
'98 Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 16V TS

bas

Re: Airbag lamp in Alfa Romeo GTV

Post by bas » 22 Feb 2010, 00:07

Viking wrote:Hello everybody.

I tried to connect to Airbag ECU (TRW MY97) but with no success.
Check if U can connect to engine or abs ecu.
If not, U have a problem with drivers(U have to update drivers) or interface or adapter.
Viking wrote: For connection I use USB OBD cable with additional FIAT connector (3 pin).
On the multiecuscan.net I found this info:
"To connect to the airbag ECU you need to connect your cable to pin 3 of the OBD connector"
This info is for users who have cars with eobd/obd2 connector.

BAS

Viking

Post by Viking » 22 Feb 2010, 08:49

This is a bit strange, because I was able to connect to engine ECU using this interface and Alfadiag software. I tried to connect once using multiecuscan, but I did not managed.
Interface is installed (seems to be properly). No errors.

bas

Post by bas » 22 Feb 2010, 09:28

Did you set the correct com port number?

BAS

Viking

Post by Viking » 22 Feb 2010, 11:08

Yes, COM5. No problem here.
Today I need to try to reduce 'Latency number' - it was 16 yesterday and supposed to be 1.

BTW, my interface is different from the one on the bottom of 'how to use' page
http://www.multiecuscan.net/HowToUse.aspx
is not blue, but black and electronics are different - I'll try to post pictures later

Any other suggestions ?

Zubrania

Post by Zubrania » 22 Feb 2010, 13:18

There is some misunderstanding. GTV MY 98 doesn't have OBD II (16 pin) connector. It has 3 pin fiat connector. so you need to have 3pin plug to connect to your airbag.
Pin 3 of OBD II (16 pin connector) is responsible for ABS CU connect. But that is not your case.

Viking

Post by Viking » 22 Feb 2010, 14:55

Zubrania wrote:There is some misunderstanding. GTV MY 98 doesn't have OBD II (16 pin) connector. It has 3 pin fiat connector. so you need to have 3pin plug to connect to your airbag.
Pin 3 of OBD II (16 pin connector) is responsible for ABS CU connect. But that is not your case.
No misunderstanding. I am using OBDII interface (16 pin) and 3pin connector (Fiat plug).
I also have checked, that K-line is correctly going to pin7 and L-line to pin15 in OBDII interface. GND and +12V are also correct.

I did connect to engine ECU using this interface (and 3pin connector). ABS has the same 3pin plug, but I did not try to connect (ABS works great, specialy now on the snow :)

Viking

Post by Viking » 22 Feb 2010, 18:13

I just finished testing with 'Latency timer' reduced to 1 ms. No connection....
I have no clue what else to check...

bas

Post by bas » 22 Feb 2010, 20:42

Viking wrote:I just finished testing with 'Latency timer' reduced to 1 ms. No connection....
I have no clue what else to check...
Once i had a similar problem with marea(4 airbags), i couldn't connect untill i reconnected(disconnect and connect with great force) connector of driver side airbag under driver seat.
Try to check connectors under both seats if U have 4 airbags(or more).
Be sure to do it (disconnect and connect the connectors) when ignition turned off.

BAS

Viking

Post by Viking » 22 Feb 2010, 21:12

bas wrote: i couldn't connect untill i reconnected(disconnect and connect with great force) connector of driver side airbag under driver seat.
AS
:shock:

Yes... I guess that is a kind of idea I would never figure out by myself... doesn't make much sens, but may work somehow...
I have 2 airbags and 2 seat belts pretensioners - I will check connectors tomorrow and let you know.