Gendan elm interface getting nowhere!!!!

General messages
anhbrown

Gendan elm interface getting nowhere!!!!

Post by anhbrown » 20 Nov 2011, 10:34

Hi all hope you can help got the gendan elm interface (Little alluminium box with lights on) using the green adaptor module on a fiat doblo van 1.9 jtd into usb port of pc for some reason it wont connect when i click f11 scan it scans for a few minutes but comes up with no results
and when i click connect i get the message operation has timed out check cable and serial port settings which i have done also tried changing com port etc or i get the message accees to com port 3 is denied!
i have power light on the elm and the transmit light flashes when trying to connect but thats as far as i get
there is clearly some connection because when i plug in the adaptor to the ecu the dash light comes on and fuel empty light flashes plus others tearing my hair out please help.

s130

Re: Gendan elm interface getting nowhere!!!!

Post by s130 » 20 Nov 2011, 13:34

I'm puzzled why when you connect the Elm Interface into the car dash lights start flashing. That should not happen.

Have you tried connecting with NO adapter cable. I could be that your vehicle does not like the green adapter wiring.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus

yani
Site Admin

Post by yani » 20 Nov 2011, 18:27

This is because probably the GREEN adapter is not for your car. It has a short circuit on pins 1 and 9. That is why your dashboard goes off.
In your car you probably need to use the YELLOW adapter.

This is a very common mistake with Fiat Doblo. That's why I included TYPE in the latest version of Multiecuscan. There are four types of Doblo: 119, 152, 223, 263. You can check your VIN number to see which type is your Doblo.

anhbrown

Post by anhbrown » 21 Nov 2011, 08:05

hi its 223 doblo cargo on the vin plate if i use no adapter cable then i dont even get power light on the elm 327 and still wont connect anyway i dont want to try the yellow adaptor as its not rquired in the supported vehicles list only green adaptor for abs and red adaptor for airbags everything else under this list should connect with just the elm according to that!

regards Andy

Juggers2k

Post by Juggers2k » 21 Nov 2011, 10:36

anhbrown wrote:hi its 223 doblo cargo on the vin plate if i use no adapter cable then i dont even get power light on the elm 327 and still wont connect anyway i dont want to try the yellow adaptor as its not rquired in the supported vehicles list only green adaptor for abs and red adaptor for airbags everything else under this list should connect with just the elm according to that!

regards Andy
If the ELM doesn't power up without the adaptors, then it sounds like it's not making proper connection with the pins - is the connector plug fouling on the surround of the port before it's fully pushed into the port?
All 3 adaptors pass pin 16 (12v power) and pins 4 & 5 (ground) straight through - they adaptors don't redirect any of those pins, so if the ELM isn't powering up without an adaptor, it stands to reason that it's not making proper contact on the power or ground pins.
2008 Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 8v Eleganza

anhbrown

Post by anhbrown » 22 Nov 2011, 07:26

please dont think this a dumb question but should the elm power light be on even when not connected to pc cos theres nothing the only way i get the power light on on the elm is connected to pc and green adaptor any other configuration i get nothing! if i know which pin is 16 i can test for 12v i suppose cant i

Juggers2k

Post by Juggers2k » 22 Nov 2011, 15:43

Pin 16 on the car is the bottom-right pin, when the connector is oriented with the wider edge at the top.
See this page: http://www.gendan.co.uk/article_3.html

With the Gendan ELM interfaces, if you plug the interface into just the car (without connecting the USB), the power LED should come on. If it doesn't, then it sounds like it's not getting power (or ground) from the car.
If you plug in just the USB, and not the car side, then the power light also comes on, but more dimly.

The other lights will all flash while data is being transferred, but will be off until then.

Plugging in the green adaptor should make no difference to the power light, as the power and ground pins are mapped straight through on the adaptors. All I can think is you're able to push the plug on the green adaptor further into the port than you can with the plug on the ELM OBD-II cable. Does the surround of the cable foul on something when you try to push it in?

anhbrown

Post by anhbrown » 23 Nov 2011, 14:48

ok so now im getting really worried have checked this several times today pin 16 -no volts, i have 12v power on pin 7 and ground is pin 3 nothing on pin 16 i know im testing correct pins cos the block is numbered in each corner.......

Juggers2k

Post by Juggers2k » 24 Nov 2011, 10:08

anhbrown wrote:ok so now im getting really worried have checked this several times today pin 16 -no volts, i have 12v power on pin 7 and ground is pin 3 nothing on pin 16 i know im testing correct pins cos the block is numbered in each corner.......
A lot of cars have a fuse for the diagnostic port power supply line, so check for blown fuses.
Pin 7 should be a floating voltage, as diagnostic tools ground that pin to zero to wake the car's ECU up into diagnostic mode, so we wouldn't usually expect it to be 12v - it's usually around 7-10v.
It might be worth comparing the reading you get on pin 7 against something that is definitely battery voltage, as battery voltage is usually a bit higher than the idle voltage on pin 7.

A lot of VW group vehicles have an issue where if you replace the factory fit stereo with an aftermarket unit, the wiring adaptors you plug in the back wrongly short the electric aerial output to the diagnostic line on the port, which causes a permanent 12v on pin 7, and blows up diagnostic tools - I've not seen anything like that on Fiat before though.

anhbrown

Post by anhbrown » 03 Jan 2012, 08:22

You were right blown fuse and all was looking fine and dandy finally got the power light..........starting from the beginning when i go into settings and test connection transmit and receive lights work and appear to do something and responses to all commands ok good upto here. ..... when i scan for interfaces all seems ok also and get the message elm327 interface found at port com 3 38400bps this interface is compatible with elm327,1.4 should connect properley with all can modules. latency to high!!............is this ok?
Yet when i click connect i always get the same message you need kline/vag com/obdkey to connect to this module check cable and serial port settings.....they are good cos ive just tested havent i?
also if i click scan i either get the scanning bar going across for a few minutes but no results just says ok
or scanning bar goes across with message scanning engine boschedc16c39 cf41/obd diesel injection 1.9,2.4 isocode fd86do85ad but then still ends in ok with no results!!

any help greatly appreciated.....

Andy