Fiat Coupe 20v non turbo VIS

General messages
seanory1

Fiat Coupe 20v non turbo VIS

Post by seanory1 » 29 Oct 2011, 12:20

Maybe I am clutching at straws here but I am trying all options ! I have a Fiat Coupe 20 v non Turbo VIS . Some months ago it just stopped after about 5 yards and threw on the injector light. The Ecu was checked out by Schepers Autotechnik and all was fine. ECU cables were also tested for voltage. It was notice that the main 40 amp fused was badly blown and on advise the fuel pump was replaced. Spark and fuel supply are fine. Again on advise the cam sensor and crank sensor were also repalaced and engine diagnostics carried out. This did not throw up anything as wrong. Engine compression is fine as well. So really if any of the experts on the forum can lead me in the wright direction to sort this, I would be most grateful.

s130

Re: Fiat Coupe 20v non turbo VIS

Post by s130 » 29 Oct 2011, 16:36

Could be anything and without fault code information and "freeze data" (ie. data preceeding and/or associated with the fault) then it makes it difficult to comment.

You say they had a go at replacing the crank and cam sensors and problem still persists. Have you/they checked the actual engine timing. A cam belt slippage can cause timing and phase errors and if such a slippage has occured and the timing is 'on the edge' then only occasional error detection may occur and this could vary with temperature and engine revs.

Just a thought.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus

seanory1

Post by seanory1 » 30 Oct 2011, 12:59

s130 wrote:Could be anything and without fault code information and "freeze data" (ie. data preceeding and/or associated with the fault) then it makes it difficult to comment.

You say they had a go at replacing the crank and cam sensors and problem still persists. Have you/they checked the actual engine timing. A cam belt slippage can cause timing and phase errors and if such a slippage has occured and the timing is 'on the edge' then only occasional error detection may occur and this could vary with temperature and engine revs.

Just a thought.
Yes timing was checked before and after the camshaft sensor fitting. At both stages it was fine.

Juggers2k

Post by Juggers2k » 31 Oct 2011, 12:43

Will the car actually start?
Most engine management faults require the engine to be running for the engine management to be able to notice and diagnose them. If it's a non-starter, then PC diagnostics probably aren't going to be much help unless it's due to an electrical fault that is evident with the engine off.
2008 Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 8v Eleganza

seanory1

Post by seanory1 » 02 Nov 2011, 13:28

No the car will not fire up at all. As I said , fuel pump, crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor have been replaced. I think I will try a throttle position sensor next. I keep thinking as to why the main 40 amp fuse virtually melted and on looking at some wiring diagrams these sensors are on that electrical line. I could trailer the car to a Fiat agency but that is over 100 mile from me and then again, from past experiences, they will know absolutely nothing about it.
As regards your answer to the timing in " hang", I phoned fiat this morn to acquire the proper timing settings just to compare them with the settings my mechanic had used and it was as if i was speaking a different language when I mentioned it was a Code 182B3000 VIS engine. So no joy there !!!
Also the alarm never worked in the car although it would flash the indicaters when the bonnet was opened, as if the siren was just disconnected.

s130

Post by s130 » 02 Nov 2011, 18:19

Understand your plight but this is really a Multiecuscan support/usage forum so unless you have some fault code readings then you are probably far better off going over to FiatForum.com and into the dedicated Coupe section.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus