How to measure MAF sensor?

General messages
onnaj

How to measure MAF sensor?

Post by onnaj » 22 Sep 2010, 07:48

Hello,

I own a 147 JTD 8V from the year 2002. I have some little problems with driving when cold. The engine sometimes stalls or sometimes does have the intention to stall. I then have to push the pedal much too far then usual to keep the car going.
Besides that the car runs just fine and last week i'ver tested it in germany and it still reached 194 km/h on gps after 175.000 km, so i was pretty amazed :)

I think of two options myself that might cause the problem.
1) The temperature sensor
2) The MAF Sensor

I however don't know how to measure the MAF sensor. Measuring the boost pressure is like full throttle in 4th gear from 1000 rpm till 4500 rpm. Is measurement for the MAF the same? And which numbers would be right then?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

alfa156sarajevo

Re: How to measure MAF sensor?

Post by alfa156sarajevo » 28 Sep 2010, 19:02

I don't know how to measure the MAF sensor with FES software but I know how to do it mechanically. I tested this on my Alfa 156 1,9 JTD made in 2000 and also tested on my friends Alfa 156 1,9 JTD made in 2001. First you need to find the MAF sensor. It is on air filter bellow battery – right side of engine – close to headlight. You just unplug the connector from MAF sensor and drive a car. After that you plug IN the connector to MAF sensor and try the car. You will see how it is going on road. If the car is running better without MAF sensor than your sensor is faulty if not then it is something else.

My friend is still driving the car with unplugged cable from MAF sensor. More then 1 year…

...Later you will need to delete this error code from your engine ECU with FES program.
Coded Keys & CODE card for Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia cars

sprint750

Re: How to measure MAF sensor?

Post by sprint750 » 04 Oct 2010, 22:43

alfa156sarajevo wrote:I don't know how to measure the MAF sensor with FES software but I know how to do it mechanically. I tested this on my Alfa 156 1,9 JTD made in 2000 and also tested on my friends Alfa 156 1,9 JTD made in 2001. First you need to find the MAF sensor. It is on air filter bellow battery – right side of engine – close to headlight. You just unplug the connector from MAF sensor and drive a car. After that you plug IN the connector to MAF sensor and try the car. You will see how it is going on road. If the car is running better without MAF sensor than your sensor is faulty if not then it is something else.

My friend is still driving the car with unplugged cable from MAF sensor. More then 1 year…

...Later you will need to delete this error code from your engine ECU with FES program.
The ECU will switch to 'safe mode' because it will miss the intake air temperature (fitted within the MAF unit) which is used to drive (among others) the boost pressure.
The MAF information is also used for EGR management.

The car will run, but in 'map mode' (open loop), meaning pollution + some HP missing (when cold climate, for example). Hopefully, the Engine ECU can substitute intake air temp by outside air temp (info for the display).

Best regards
Sébastien
A pessimistic is a former optimistic who gathered experience