Connection Protocol Choice

General messages
s130

Connection Protocol Choice

Post by s130 » 24 Jun 2010, 19:14

With an ELM interfce, as opposed to KKL what is Multiecuscan's connection method/choice?

Do you connect on CAN if you can and then try KKL via ELM interface?

The ELM chip supports multiple protocols and it would be nice to know how Multiecuscan navigates/chooses its connection protocol. This is of interest to those who have varying levels of support for KKL / CAN on our cars. e.g. My Croma is CAN and KKL enabled but my Barchetta is KKL only.

I've not tried Multiecuscan with an ELM interface on the Barchetta yet but knowledge of your design approach/objectives would be useful information to many here.

By the way Lani. Supporting ELM is the best decision you ever made, becauae with ELM (as you know) you can just about cover every common connection protocol with a single hardware interface.

Another point/queston. On the Croma Multiecuscan connects via CAN to all but the ABS system (well I think was ABS). If I had the correct pins linked as for KKL would Multiecuscan connect via CAN to all supported modules and at the same time any other KKL interfaces not alread connected to by CAN? Or would I have disconnect and use exclusively a KKL interface to connect to the non CAN interface.

Hope you understand the question / details.

Nick
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus

yani
Site Admin

Re: Connection Protocol Choice

Post by yani » 25 Jun 2010, 06:30

Hi,

This is not something that we can choose. The protocol and type of connection is a choice made by Fiat's engineers when they designed our vehicles.
Each vehicle/module has a strict specification document which defines all diagnostic functions of that module including the type of connection that has to be used. I'm just following those specifications.

For example: The EDC 16 engine node of Croma'05 is diagnosed via k-line protocol KWP2000 and the diagnostic k-line is on pin 7 of the OBD connector. This is a decision made by the engineers in the factory and defined in a specification document. We cannot change it. You cannot diagnose this EDC16 node through the CAN network.
The engine node in Grande Punto for example is diagnosed through the CAN network.

Yani