ELM327 connection failed to ECU

multiecuscan program usage help
Eb W.

ELM327 connection failed to ECU

Post by Eb W. » 21 Mar 2023, 02:52

Hi,

I am a newbie at this forum.
My name is Eb and I live in Invercargill, 46S-168E, New Zealand. I am 80 years old and have been a radioham since 1972. Callsigns are: ZL4RM/PA0JAG.

Sofar I have use MultiEcuScan since 2016 with success, but now I am a bit puzzled, why it will not work properly.
I have a Fiat Ducato Multijet Maxi built up as an Eura mobile Terrestra 690, built in 2012. We bought the unit in Germany in 2012 and after a 5-month stint in Europe, shipped the unit to New Zealand, where we picked up the camper first week of Jan 2013.

Although we had quite some trouble with the engine. First we encountered a malfunctioning booster solenoid in 2014, replaced it. After about 40.000km according to the Fiat dealer in Dunedin, it developed a malfunction of the turbo charger. Exchanged it for a new one. Still the yellow engine light came on and they came to the conclusion, it was a faulty ECU unit. Replaced the unit, but still no joy. Yellow engine light was still on. The scan showed DPF full 120%. So the DFP was cleaned. Still no joy. The end conclusion was: Must be a faulty sensor. Replaced the sensor and bingo, problems gone.
Once more a red light warning. Something to do with the airbags, hence another diagnosis and conclusion: faulty/corroded sensor. New one and since then no more problems re engine lights etc.
I was told the service check could not be updated, because the vehicle was to old (less the 10 years old), which to me was just a fob-off excuse and did not believe them
So I decided myself to plug in the Multiecuscan software. Whatever I try, with 3 different ELM327 interfaces, connection failed to ECU. The ELM327 is the correct one and not a Chinese clone. Now I understood why they could not update the maintenance info. Although nobody else ever connected anything to the engine's ECU, I am convinced somebody at the service station caused this problem. This of course is denied in all its glory.

My question to this forum is: Does anybody know why I cannot connect to the ECU or any advice what to do next please.

Fiat Ducato
MultiJet Maxi
3ltr, 4-cylinder diesel engine F1CE3481E
130kW/177HP
92000km

From the scans I receive the following information:

Scanning ...

Body / BCM (Body Control Module)
Body Computer Marelli (250FL)
ISO Code: 40 83 6D 8A 8F

Airbag / NAB/ORC (Airbag/Occupant Restraint Module)
TRW Airbag (Ep - PROXI)
ISO Code: EA 07 B9 8A 89

Dashboard / IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster)
Instrument Panel Marelli
ISO Code: 32 83 D3 8A 67

COMPLETED

Interface scan gives the following message:

Please connect the interface to a car!
Scanning ...

ELM 327 1.3/1.4/1.4b/2.1 interface found at port COM3, speed 38400bps
This interface is compatible with ELM 327 1.4! Should connect properly with all CAN modules.

COMPLETED

These are the only modules scanning. The other 6 or so modules nothing.

I also asked the Fiat Forum, but somebody advised me to contact the MES Forum.

Can somebody help me please or put me in the direction.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Eb Wijkstra
Invercargill, 9812
New Zealand

s130

Re: ELM327 connection failed to ECU

Post by s130 » 21 Mar 2023, 08:52

I asmume you have seen/checked the supported vehicles list here: http://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx

Your results seem a little odd as you think your are Ducator Type 250 3.0 Multijet and for this vehicle everything (except power steering) is CAN based.

I presume you have the required A3 adaptor? If not you need to get that adapter.

Failing that then I think the problem lies with your ELM adapter. If I were you I would get a genuine OBDLink SX interface. To my knowledge nobody has ever had any issues with this interface. It also supports firmware updates (if ever required e.g for Pass Through protocal to Fiat/Other servers).
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus

Eb W.

Re: ELM327 connection failed to ECU

Post by Eb W. » 22 Mar 2023, 22:32

Yes I have an A3 adaptor. Tried to connect with and without the adaptor.
Because there are 3 modules detected, I assume the ELM327 interface is working. It is an TotalCarDiagonstic USB tool version 2.1.
I have strugle now for days to get it connected. Next thing I will do is going to my local garage and connect a professional scanning tool (Bosch) and see what happens.

Thanks for your help and advice. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Eb W.