connection failed. you need elm 327/obdkey interface to connect to this module. check your cable and serial port setting

multiecuscan program usage help
MarioMC

connection failed. you need elm 327/obdkey interface to connect to this module. check your cable and serial port setting

Post by MarioMC » 20 Jul 2021, 21:36

hi, I'd like to purchase MES to investigate the issue of the airbag light on my ducato 2017 (campervan converted), but before purchasing the license I wanted to test whether I could connect to the available ECUs with the free version.
I purchased one of the recommended adapters from the help section, http://www.multiecuscan.net/HowToUse.aspx , the one from OBDauto.fr, it says there that it has same compatibility with car modules as ELM 327.
I also purchased the A1 to A5 color adapters to connect to the different modules.
I installed the laters drivers for Windows 10, downloaded from https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/, they are well installed and used in device manager when plugging the cable. I also did the advanced configuration to reduce the latency time to lowest value as explained in the user guide.
But,no matter which module I select I always get the same error: "connection failed. you need elm 327/obdkey interface to connect to this module. check your cable and serial port settings"
even without adapter, connecting directly the obdauto.fr cable I cannot connect to any ECU.
When detecting the interface in MES it detect a K-line/vagkom one. So here is my first question, is this really compatible with elm 327 modules as it's indicated in the help section? anybody has any experience with it?
how can I successfully connect it to the elm 327 modules to test it and if works purchase the license to actually investigate the airbag issue?

My second question that maybe somebody can clarify too, which would be the model of ducato I need to select? I read somewhere that as from 2014 should be 290, is that right? my campervan just indicates multijet 2.3, so that's the only thing clear for me. By checking the certificate of conformity I can see it went out of the factory in 2017 to be converted, sold in 2018, first plate in 2019. but in the forum I found a lot of mentions for ducato campervan being 250 facelift ( I guess that should be for models older than 2014, am I right?)

thx in advance for your help

s130

Re: connection failed. you need elm 327/obdkey interface to connect to this module. check your cable and serial port set

Post by s130 » 21 Jul 2021, 07:19

This looks like MES does not recognise the interface you have as being either KKL, ELM or OBDLINK SX.

I see you bought from obdauto.fr. The are recommended MES suppliers so should be able to help you out. You may haver purchased the wrong interface?

On their site for MES I see:

https://www.obdauto.fr/obdlink-sx-usb-interface-de-diagnostic-professionnelle-16-bits-special-multiecuscan-renolink-c2x24744365
https://www.obdauto.fr/interface-diagnostic-special-fiat-interface-usb-pour-pc-compatible-multiecuscan-alfaobd-c2x24887519

I know the OBDLINK SX always works and is in my opinion better and more reliable than ELM devices.

Suggest you contact obdauto.fr

For your second questions then you if you have Multijet 2.3 then you can try selecting any of the listed Ducato types with the 2.3 engine. MES will tell you if it has any unsupported ISO codes in the type you select.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus

MarioMC

Re: connection failed. you need elm 327/obdkey interface to connect to this module. check your cable and serial port set

Post by MarioMC » 30 Jul 2021, 14:26

thx for your answer, I contacted the vendor and it seems they sent me a wrong type of cable:KKL, I've received now the elm 327 interface one and it connects with no problem.
so by using the scan I could found out that I do have a fiat ducato 290 as I thought it was.
Now for more friendly use, I'd rather use MES with my ipad instead having to carry around a laptop. which would be a good elm 327 wifi interface to be able to use MES with the different color adapters if needed, should any of them work?
I'm asking because I've tested a bluetooth interface with other apps and it seems to connect only to the engine ecu, when connecting it to the yellow or red adapter it cannot find any ecu, but those adapters work when used in the MES windows 10 version, so the problem comes from the bluetooth elm327 interface, I would not like to have the same issue after purchasing a new one with wifi to use with the ipad.
thx again for your time and help

s130

Post by s130 » 31 Jul 2021, 10:31

I've no experience of Bluetooth ELM interfaces.

If no one chips in then you should go to one of the MES listed suppliers and they should be able to help.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus