Newbie Question on OBDlink...

multiecuscan program usage help
Alipapa

Newbie Question on OBDlink...

Post by Alipapa » 15 Apr 2017, 10:09

Hi all, I am so happy that the software finally support 4C. I am very new to the program (i had experience with VCDS) and I hope I can get some direction before I mess up the car :lol:

I have a OBDlink LX, and on the support vehicles page, it says that I need a A3 adapter, but on the order pages, it says I don't need any adapter if I purchase MULTIPLEXED license.

So does it mean that if I have the MULTIPLEXED then the Multiscan software will control the OBDlink and route the pins automatically?

Thank you very much and I am looking forward to learn from the community!

Alipapa

Re: Newbie Question on OBDlink...

Post by Alipapa » 15 Apr 2017, 11:34

Oh, I kind of find out the answer. Seems like the MULTIPLEXED bundle comes with a CANtieCAR 4.x interface that will do the pin switching itself :lol:

So my next question is, the OBDlink will not work or do I need special cable as an adapter?

THX!

s130

Post by s130 » 15 Apr 2017, 12:06

The MES software supports all supported interface units: KKL, ELM, OBDLink and CANtieCar interfaces.

Only CANtieCar is Multiplexed in that it does not require adapter cables as it uses internal switching to connect the correct interface pin to the correct pin on the vehicles OBDII socket.

For your C4 then with OBDLink (or ELM) interface then you will be able to connect to the Engine, Gearbox and ASB system ECUs with NO additional adapter cable required.

For the other vehicle systems you will need adapter cable A3.

Generally speaking I would say that unless you are in the trade having to connect to many different vehicles then the CANtiCar is too expensive for the amateur / home DIY person. For your 4C car all you need is OBDLink and adapter A3.

CANtieCar = one unit, no adapter cables and thus convenience of use, storage etc. and use on an PC but all at a hefty price. To do the same vehicle coverage one would need a KKL Interface, an ELM/OBDLink Interface and a full adapter cable set of six cables but use on only one PC. The overall price difference is approximately twice.

Hope this helps.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus

Alipapa

Post by Alipapa » 15 Apr 2017, 13:06

Thanks for the reply! now I guess I understand how the adapter thing works.

Seems like I can use a OBD extension and turn it into an A3 adapter.

THX!