Is there a preference of cable type?

multiecuscan program usage help
blackfish

Is there a preference of cable type?

Post by blackfish » 16 Mar 2010, 22:24

Hi,

New user, first post, software looks very promising. First question, before I buy a VAGCOM KKL cable (probably from eBay), should I go for a straight USB type, or a serial type to use with a serial/USB adapter I already have. Not sure of implications for drivers. I'm inclined to go for straight USB type unless anyone suggests otherwise.

My immediate needs are to find out why my Punto dies when I try to start it (ECU light comes on but I can get rid of it by disconnecting Lambda sensor) and if I can get it running again (OK, let's be positive, WHEN I get it running again), I will tackle the airbag light that has been glowing away for about a year!

cheers,

blackfish

alfa156sarajevo

Re: Is there a preference of cable type?

Post by alfa156sarajevo » 17 Mar 2010, 09:53

Just few questions before I give you advice:
Do you have a laptop or desktop computer?
Do you have on you computer USB connector?
Do you have on you computer serial connector?

There in no difference between VAGCOM KKL interfaces with serial or USB cable. They are the same. The only difference is on the end – serial connector or USB connector. One with USB connectors are made for newer computers and other one with SERIAL connectors are made for older computers. I have a two laptops one older and one newer. The old one has 3 different SERIAL ports (connectors) and the newer laptop have only one serial port and 3 USB ports. ;)
Coded Keys & CODE card for Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia cars

blackfish

Post by blackfish » 17 Mar 2010, 21:23

Hi,

I have a laptop and it only has USB sockets, no serial socket. I have a USB to serial adaptor so in theory I could get either type of lead. However, to keep it simple I have ordered a USB type. I just wasn't sure whether Multiecuscan is designed to output to a physical serial socket. Presumably the USB type of lead presents a virtual serial socket to the PC/laptop.

Cheers,

blackfish

alfa156sarajevo

Post by alfa156sarajevo » 19 Mar 2010, 10:03

blackfish wrote:...I have ordered a USB type...
good decision! it's easier to use all interfaces with USB connectors than one with SERIAL connectors! ;)
Coded Keys & CODE card for Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia cars

madkat

Post by madkat » 23 Mar 2010, 19:45

some USB-serial adaptors have issues when using with diagnose interfaces - it's better to buy a "native" usb interface

blackfish

Post by blackfish » 26 Mar 2010, 22:31

Got a cheap KKL lead (£8.20 incl.delivery) and it works OK except that it shows the latency error. I got the latest driver for FTDi and set latency to minimum (1mS) but latency error still there.

blackfish