OBD connector on Punto

multiecuscan program usage help
Stokkers

OBD connector on Punto

Post by Stokkers » 29 Jun 2011, 19:10

Hi all

I have an ELM 274 USB and downloaded the Multiecuscan software, which tells me that the OBD connector is near the steering wheel. OK, excuse me for being a bit stupid, but HOW near the steering wheel? Is it inside the box to the right (On RHD cars) and if so, where? I have had a look around, but don't really know what to look for - said I am a bit stupid and I am also disabled and on the wrong side of 70, but I would like to run this software etc and see if I can find out why my MIL is on all the time when the ignition is switched on. This causing me some confusion, as everyone else that has this problem, seems to have a red light, but mine is orange.

Thanks all.

Juggers2k

Re: OBD connector on Punto

Post by Juggers2k » 30 Jun 2011, 10:49

What age of Punto?

On the 1999-2006 models you have to take off the fusebox cover - there are a couple of plastic screws you need to undo with a 1p coin, then pull the panel off - the port is in the bottom of the fusebox, below the fuses and relays.

On the Grande Punto, there is a little cubby-hole in a panel below the menu and foglight buttons. Hook your fingers in and pull that panel down - the port's behind it.

On the pre-1999 models I don't know :)

(and I take it you mean ELM327 not ELM274 :p )
2008 Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 8v Eleganza

Stokkers

Post by Stokkers » 30 Jun 2011, 12:13

Hi Juggers

Many thanks for your reply. My Punto is a 52 plate (2002?) and I have located the connection point. I had a bit of difficulty bending down, but now I know where it is, I can have a go with plugging in my ELM 327 as you correctly mentioned. I think I got confused with the Pennant Number of a ship I served on in the RN.

While we are about it, my home help told me this morning that there is not much to worry about if the MIL is orange and should be concerned if it is red. Is this correct? There is next to no information in the Haynes Manual that I have. I have searched the Internet, but found very little info.

Many thanks.

Juggers2k

Post by Juggers2k » 30 Jun 2011, 12:33

Whether the light is red or orange probably has more to do with the state of the bulb than anything else. The Check Engine Light is usually orange though.
If the light is on, then there are fault codes stored on the ECU.
If it's something particularly serious, the car would normally limit the RPM of the engine (limp-home mode)

Stokkers

Post by Stokkers » 30 Jun 2011, 13:04

Thanks Juggers. Can't get out to run a check at the moment. Bit too dark and looks like we could be in for a downpour any time now

Mal126

Post by Mal126 » 30 Jun 2011, 22:39

Stokkers wrote:Thanks Juggers. Can't get out to run a check at the moment. Bit too dark and looks like we could be in for a downpour any time now
Mind if i ask where your from , maybe someone here could help.
If your close to me i'm more than happy to help.

regards

Mal
Multiecuscan Registered Fiat Croma Bought New 2006

Stokkers

Post by Stokkers » 01 Jul 2011, 09:59

Yes Mal - Wisbech in Cambs. Hopefully, I can get my son on the job, but as he is working in Evesham at present, so a bit difficult. I did try it all out yesterday evening, but it came back with an error message - Interface not recognised, but I am hoping to give is another try this morning using different software.

Ken

Stokkers

Post by Stokkers » 01 Jul 2011, 11:24

Right Folks. I tried the Multiecuscan using my ELM327 Interface and the program still did not recognise the interface, so I tried another bit of software - EasyOBDII and after finding the correct com port, it gave me the following fault:

Stored DTC (S)

P0170 - Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1)

Pending DTC (S) Detected During Current or Last Completed Driving Cycle

None

Maybe someone can let me know what this means.

The MIL light still remains on and I can't reset it.

Ken

Juggers2k

Post by Juggers2k » 01 Jul 2011, 15:52

Unfortunately that's one of those really vague fault codes.

Essentially the engine management is saying that the biggest fuel trim adjustment it can make isn't enough to properly correct the fuel mixture, so it's either running too rich or too lean.
That could be caused by any part of the fuelling feedback loop reporting incorrectly, so it could be any of the following (and maybe a few other things too):
- Air intake leak
- Exhaust leak
- Faulty MAF sensor
- Faulty oxygen sensor
- Injectors
- Fuel pressure / fuel pump

So it might be a case of trial and error to find where the cause is - intake and exhaust leaks are a good thing to check for first.

You should be able to clear the fault when the engine isn't running, and it shouldn't immediately come back, as the engine would need to be running to actually detect it.

Stokkers

Post by Stokkers » 01 Jul 2011, 17:37

Many thanks, Juggers. I have downloaded the full Multiecuscan program, run it on my car again and it came up with the same P0170 fault, but this time I was able to switch the MIL light off. I will have to see what my son can do for me when I see him again. I may be lucky to catch him on Sunday on his way back to Evesham, but at least I feel a bit more confident to use the car now that light is out!

I think I will now have to study the instructions I have downloaded.

Many thanks for your, and others, help for an old fella. LOL