How do you remove abs ecu?

multiecuscan program usage help
SillyBilly

How do you remove abs ecu?

Post by SillyBilly » 20 Mar 2011, 13:59

Hi
I have a Fiat Multipla 04 50K. My FiatScan software shows no faults on the Engine or Airbag ecus but when I try to view the ABS iit fails to communicate with the ABS ecu. I have checked the continuity between Pin 1 on the R10 diagnostic port and pin 11 on the ABS connector (and at the intermediate connector D05). When I have switched on for the last 2 years after the Check I get 4 beeps and the ABS and (!) lamps are lit and I get 4 beeps. The messages ABS system faulty and EBD system faulty alternate on the display until I press the setup button 3 times. This all started when the car was in storage and the battery voltage went down to 11V. I had expected to clear errors set up but with no communication I am stumped! If I disconnect the D05 I get just 2 beeps and the ABS lamp and message. The brakes have been working fine without any locking up but no ABS judder.
I am told that it is the ABS ecu that is faulty. Can anyone confirm this?
If I do have to replace the ecu with an identical one, how do you remove the ecu without disconnecting the brake pipes? I can see 6 torx screws which I have now removed but I cant disengage the cable connector at the bottom. I have disengaged the clip and can move it down about 4mm but the metal ABS support stops it going any further and until it is off I can't fully disengage the ecu module from what I think are solenoids.
Any help appreciated as I need to get it through the MOT?

SillyBilly

Re: How do you remove abs ecu?

Post by SillyBilly » 20 Mar 2011, 15:54

Hi
Managed to get the connector off without breaking anything. The solenoid coils do swivel a bit.
Would still welcome comments about the need to replace the ABS ecu.

SillyBilly

Post by SillyBilly » 20 Mar 2011, 17:37

Hi
They say one of the first signs of madness is you start talking to yourself!
Have tried the ABS ecu off my son's Multipla and it works without errors so mine is definitely faulty. RXXXX Bosch
Anyone know how to open the ecu to see whether there is anything 'adrift'
Thanks

devc

Post by devc » 23 Mar 2011, 20:09

I have tried to open a Alfa ABS unit. You can pry the glued lids off.
However there is not much you can see or repair.
Best solution is to obtain a 2nd hand or new unit.
Dev

SillyBilly

Post by SillyBilly » 23 Mar 2011, 22:06

Thanks devc
I managed to get it off. There was not enough slack in the cable to the main motor so just taking off the ecu was a problem as was replacing. It is done now and I have fitted the replacement ecu off an identical ABS on ebay. Not bad for £35 +£10 delivery. And it now hasnoo errors and is tgrough its MOT

A success at last